The Nine Year Continuous Basic Education (NYCBE) (also commonly
referred to as the Nine Year Schooling – NYS) is a set of reforms that have been introduced in year 2016.
The NYCBE makes provision for all students to complete nine years of basic schooling and aims to ensure that all youth reach at least the basic skills level as per international benchmark.
Pupils should develop the following core competencies:
- Critical thinking skills – ability to solve complex problems
• Creativity, innovation
• Adaptability, self-discipline, initiative
• Oral and written communication skills, public speaking skills
• Leadership, teamwork, collaboration
• Fluency in ICT, entrepreneurship skills
• Global awareness, multicultural literacy
• Scientific literacy and reasoning
• Environmental and conservation literacy